Tuesday, June 12, 2012

2012: A Year of Handmade

Warning: The contents of this post is a spoiler to someone on my regular gift giving list. Reading further will spoil the surprise for your upcoming birthday or Christmas present. Don't say I didn't warn you.




I don't know what happened but I stopped making a lot of handmade presents a number of years ago. Wait. I do remember. I got knocked up in 2008 and spent the next nine months throwing up. There's something about having your guts ripped out of you every few minutes/hours or so that just seems to stifle creative thought or action. Who knew?




In an effort to become more frugal and to spend a little more time on something I love (crafting), I have casually labelled 2012 as my new "Year of Handmade." I miss giving handmade gifts. I miss thinking about the person I am making something for, wondering if they are really going to like what I've made. I miss really really concentrating on what that person likes and making something extra special that I have put heart and soul into and spent valuable time on. 





If I manage to gift only two handmade things this year, that will be a 100% improvement from last year and I'm happy to introduce item number one.




This is Laura Chau's "Just Enough Ruffles" scarf. If you have lots of time it would be a quick knit. It didn't take me too long to knit up either. I used the gorgeous Eco Duo from Cascade Yarns (70% Undyed Baby Alpaca and 30% Undyed Merino Wool) that I purchased at my former LYS (Local Yarn Store) A Good Yarn. This is a lovely, easy pattern and knits up into a gorgeous result. I will definitely be knitting another one in the future and there is just something so satisfying to know that I knit 600 stitches in the last four rows. Aaaaah!

No comments:

Post a Comment